Your Doctor or Lymphoedema Physiotherapist may prescribe a compression garment for you. Usually it is easiest, safest and most cost-effective for your physiotherapist to order your garment directly from the manufacturer. This way you can be assured of the correct specifications to suit your needs and your therapist can assist you in commencing wear.
HINTS AND TIPS FOR WEARING YOUR COMPRESSION GARMENT;
- Your garment should feel firm, but comfortable. It should not be painful to wear or dig into your skin at any point.
- You should never insert anything under or into your garment.
- If you become itchy, try tapping the garment or gently rubbing the opposite limb.
- If your garment feels too tight or uncomfortable, elevate the area (above the level of your heart) and gently move it around (wriggle fingers and toes, bend/straighten your elbow/knee). If symptoms settle within 20 minutes, leave the garment in place. If symptoms do not settle, call Physio For You on 43921547 or remove garment.
- If you experience sudden severe calf pain and you are wearing a lower limb compression garment, remove it immediately and seek urgent medical attention.
- Remove your garment for showering and follow your skin care and self-massage regime as prescribed. Dry the area thoroughly before attempting to reapply your garment.
- Avoid using moisturising creams with Vitamin E prior to garment application as these may affect the life of your garment.
- Garments can be washed daily. See packaging of garment for care instructions.
- If you have difficulty donning or doffing your garment, contact Physio For You or try a donning/doffing device. There are many different products on the market, so discuss your needs with your physiotherapist to determine which is most appropriate for you.
- Compression garments work best when worn 23 hours per day. Your physiotherapist will discuss if this is suitable for you.
- You may require additional compression for travelling, especially flying. Read the page on “Travel Advice” for more information.
If you have any questions, or to book an appointment, please contact Physio For You on (02) 4392 1547.