Complex lymphoedema therapy is a treatment method used to speed up the lymphatic system, remove excess fluid and maintain the volume of a limb or a body part.
CLT has evolved over the past 150 years. Today, CLT is performed by qualified lymphoedema professionals, such as Physiotherapists, Doctors, Registered Nurses and Occupational Therapists.
There are 5 basic steps that are delivered in 2 phases:
- Education unique to each individual’s situation
- Manual lymphatic drainage massage
- Bandaging, followed by garment prescription, sizing and maintenance
- Skin care and the prevention of infection
- Exercises and deep breathing techniques
PHASE 1 – THE INTENSIVE PHASE
- Usually lasts 3-6 weeks
- Australian Best Practice Guidelines for Lymphoedema Treatment recommend 2-5. 1-2 hour treatment sessions per week, depending on a number of individual factors. Your therapist will work with you to determine the most appropriate treatment approach and frequency for your unique condition.
PHASE 2 – THE MAINTENANCE PHASE
- Clients become responsible for self-managing their condition by following their home program indefinitely
- Clients are reviewed every 6 months for re-assessment and garment ordering